Morningstar Review and Morningstar FAQ
Morningstar, located inChicago,Illinois, is a great web site for all kinds of quotes, information and articles that concern the stock market, stocks, mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) and bonds.
What is the cost of Morningstar?
Morningstar has a free service and a premium service. The premium subscription service costs:
- $21.95 monthly
- $189.00 for one year
- $319.00 for two years
- $419.00 for three years
What you can get with the free service?
With the Morningstar free service, you can do the following:
- You can get current quotes for stocks, mutual funds, exchange traded funds (ETFs), bonds and closed-end funds.
- News stories that pertain to the stock market.
- Create and maintain your own portfolio.
- Look at the market barometer for the different stock categories for 1-week, 1-month, 3-months, 1-year and 3-years.
- The NAV price, the yield, expense ratio, premium to discount percent, bid/ask spread and total assets.
- A suitability commentary on what type of portfolio a certain stock, mutual fund or ETF is suitable for.
- Top holdings for ETFs and mutual funds.
What information can you get for mutual funds?
With the free service, you can also get the following information for mutual funds:
- The percentage ranking in their category
- Plus or minus compared to the S&P500
- Plus or minus versus other mutual funds in their category.
- The number of funds that are compared to in their categories.
- The growth or loss of $10,000 in the mutual fund.
- All of the above have information for year-to-date (YTD), 1-month, 1-year, 3-years, 5-years and 10 years.
- Style map that will show you the weighted average of the holdings for a certain mutual fund.
- The percentage of stocks the fund holds for each sector.
- Morningstar’s famous ratings for risk, return and the Morningstar star rating for the past 3-years, 5-years, 10-years and overall.
- You can also get the standard deviation, mean, Sharpe ratio, Sortino ratio and the bear market ranking.
What other free tools does Morningstar offer?
With Morningstar, you can also use the following investment tools:
- IRA calculator
- Savings calculator
- Bond calculator
- Portfolio management
- Portfolio allocator
- Education classrooms like the Retirement Educator, Get More Conservative and Making a Drawdown Plan.
- Retirement calculator
- Morningstar article library
What can you get with the Morningstar premium subscription service?
With the premium subscription service, in addition to the free tools, you can also get the following:
- Analyst reports for mutual funds and stocks.
- Portfolio manager where you can compare your current holdings with a model portfolio.
- X-ray your mutual fund portfolio to ensure your portfolio is well diversified and how it compares to the S&P 500.
- Morningstar will email you a monthly report detailing your portfolio’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Data points that include buy and sell points, economic moat ratings and fair market value.
- Stock and mutual fund screeners with 150 data points or you can use one of their preset screens including their Warren Buffet, After Tax and Find Hidden Gems.
- You will also receive their Red Flag newsletter and Fund Favorites.
- Asset allocator tools.
Does Morningstar offer any promotions?
You can get a free 14-day trial for their premium services.
How can Morningstar help your investments?
Morningstar has long been known for their star rating system which is widely quoted. They have a great deal of information that can help you with your investment decisions and to monitor your own portfolio. Morningstar is ideal for those who can pick and choose their own mutual funds in their 401k plan.